GREATER GREEN VALLEY
COMMUNITY EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM (GGV-CERT)
The mission of CERT is to provide help to others following an event when professional responders are not immediately available. GGV-CERT also will directly support the Green Valley Fire District in the event of a major emergency or disaster. Operations support functions include but are not limited to: light search and rescue, small fire suppression, medical assistance and evacuation.
1. Membership is open to all greater Green Valley residents over the age of 18 who have completed the 20-hour CERT basic training course, or who agree to complete the course when it is next offered.
a. Tier One Members are those who are awaiting training or those who have completed the training course and declined to volunteer in the CERT program. Tier one members will not be issued CERT ID’s, but may be issued equipment at the discretion of the President and the Logistics Officer. Tier Two and Three members who resign or who do not pay the annual dues will be reassigned to Tier One in order to maintain an up to date alert roster.
b. Tier Two Members have completed the basic training course and have agreed to an additional six hours of training and/or volunteer participation in special events per year. Tier Two members are subject to self-activation within their respective neighborhoods in an emergency and will be issued ID’s and personal safety equipment. Tier Two members are expected to participate in one simulation per year. This can also be accomplished by assisting in a class graduation.
c. Tier Three members have completed the basic training course and have agreed to an additional eight hours of training and/or volunteer participation in special events per year. Tier Three members will make themselves available for community-wide activation and will be issued ID’s and personal safety equipment. Tier Three members are expected to participate in one simulation each year. This requirement can also be accomplished by assisting in a class graduation.
2. All members who have been issued equipment are required to pay yearly dues, the amount of which will be determined by the CERT Council. Failure to pay dues by July 10th will result in Tier One status. Dues and hours of training requirements will run from July 1st to June 30th.
1. The Board of Directors, known as the CERT Council, will consist of six members elected by the CERT membership and one member, the Treasurer, will be appointed by the President and ratified by the Council. The CERT Council will elect from its members three officers: President, Vice President and Secretary.
2. Duties of the Officers
a. The President shall coordinate the CERT Program with the Green Valley Fire District and appropriate Pima County offices, plan any simulations/exercise, maintain a data base and call list, preside over meetings, and establish committees and name committee chairs as needed. In case of tie votes the President will cast the deciding vote. In the absence of the President, any officer may preside over a meeting of the Council.
b. The Vice President shall plan the training agenda and assist with simulations/exercises.
c. The Secretary shall maintain Council minutes, maintain copies of correspondence and notify members of meetings.
d. The Treasurer shall collect and record all monies received, develop a yearly budget, track expenses and pay all bills as submitted and approved.
3. Terms of Office
CERT Council members are elected for a term of two years, with one-half of the Council elected each year. Officers are elected by the Council for a term of one year. Council members may terminate their membership at any time by written notice to the President. The President may appoint a successor to fill out the remainder of the member’s term.
CERT Council will hold quarterly meetings. A quorum will be four members of the Council.
5. Removal of Members
Council members who have more than two unexcused absences from Council meetings from July through June are subject to removal from the Council.
6. Fire District Representation
An additional member of the CERT Council, representing the Green Valley Fire District may be appointed by the Green Valley Fire District.
7. By-Law Changes: The By-Laws may be changed by a vote of two-thirds of the Council members.
Need Adobe Reader to view a PDF? Download Adobe Reader (here)